#38b NPT Stamp Hunting in South Carolina

RTT (Return to Texas)
September 9 - October 26, 2006
 
Day 2 - Sunday
September 10, 2006
363 miles

Mt. Airy, NC to Dawsonville, GA

King's Mountain & Cowpens

In a previous Fleeter Log, I mentioned IBA-NPT...said I'd explain it later. Later is now. 

The Iron Butt Association (IBA) is a group of serious motorcycle riders that put in a lot of miles traveling on their motorcycles. https://www.ironbutt.org/

The shortest qualifying ride for membership is to ride 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours on your motorcycle. They call this the Saddle Sore 1000.

IBA has many different creative rides, one of which is the National Park Tour (NPT). Ironbutt.com NPS Park Tour

The National Park Service has the Passports for sale in most visitor bookstores. So, you buy a passport, visit parks, and get stamps...how simple could it be?

To qualify for the IBA certificate, you must visit and obtain a stamp at least 50 parks/sites in at least 25 different states within a year. Sounds reasonable to me. Since I am already traveling through several states and already drive right by...sometimes even have visited some of these sights...I thought this is just something I should do.

So... Fleeter Ho, Away we go!
Entering South Carolina on NC216

I have purchased my Passport and started obtaining the stamps! It's about 82° at noon as I leave Mount Airy headed due south to South Carolina and a couple National Parks.

Kings Mountain NMP near Blacksburg, South Carolina

Kings Mountain NMP Visitor Center

Cowpens National Battlefield near Chesnee, South Carolina.

Cowpens NB Visitor Center


It's about 4:30pm in Chesnee, South Carolina when I pull over to study the map, the clock, and the GPS to see where I think I'll end up tonight.

Leaving South Carolina and entering Georgia along I85.


I made it as far as Dawsonville, Georgia where I stopped for the night at the Super 8 about 8pm.

Today's ride weather was sunny with temperatures ranging from 82° - 86° - 79°. That high of 86° feels a bit warm to me after the 60s and 70s of New England, but I'm not complaining...at least the heat wave of the south has broken.

Tomorrow:
Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
Chickamauga National Military Park

Copyright 2006 Fleeter Logs

No comments:

Post a Comment