#38 Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry)

September 9-10, 2006
300 miles

Mount Airy, NC
Mayberry, USA

After getting back from the New England trip, I took a 2 week break to get Fleeter's oil changed, check the mail, pay bills, wash clothes, re-pack and then I was off and Fleetering again. Sylvia and I headed south to Mount Airy, North Carolina on Saturday. Sunday morning we made a quick tour of the town, then in the afternoon Sylvia headed north back home and headed south.
Mount Airy is the home of Andy Griffith and was his inspiration for Mayberry in the "Andy Griffith Show." www.visitmayberry.com

See Andy and Opie on the water tower?

Notice the restrictions.
The patrol car still sitting in front of the old jail.

Floyd's Barbershop is still operating, but closed.
Just as well ... I just got a haircut a couple days ago.

Snappy Lunch Diner in earlier episodes. Snappy Lunch interior.

Blue Bird Diner of later episodes.

Meanwhile, out at Wally's Service...
When was the last time you cranked your gas pump?
Goober says "HEY" ...
Leaving "Mayberry," I drive south through North Carolina and into South Carolina to my next stop...
on my way to Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment