#33 GTT-Humpback Bridge on the Last Day of GTT


Last Day GTT Trip

2006 July 7
Beckley WV to Fredericksburg VA

No this isn't an optical illusion...the roads really do get squiggly.
See...told you. This is why these are the best roads. Obviously this trip isn't about making "time," but about the ride you can experience on the back roads.
We stopped by to see the Humpback Bridge near Covington, VA.
Built in 1835...remained in public use until 1929.
In this picture you can see why it is named the "humpback" bridge.
While exploring down along the rocks at the water's edge, I came across a few reptilians.
Either it's a two headed snake or there are two snakes under that ledge.
I think it's two snakes, so that makes four snakes I counted without even trying too hard.

Great place to go swimming.
Just make a lot of noise and check the rocks for snakes before you venture onto them.

There are many old barns along the back roads.
Some barns aren't so old though.

These kids had a Lemonade Stand sit up on the side of the road in Bacova, VA.
One kid's name was Clay. He didn't believe me when I said that was my name too...had to show him my license. He didn't know what to say then...

Time to stop for lunch. This country market had a deli counter that served up some nice turkey sandwiches.

Isn't this just the coolest stamped concrete sidewalk?!
It's at the Augusta Military Academy museum near Fort Defiance, VA.
Before closing, the Augusta Military Academy was the oldest of the seven military prep schools which existed in Virginia. It is located next to the Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church established in 1740 when this was on the edge of the Western Frontier during the French and Indian War.
It's getting dark when we pull in at the house in Fredericksburg, VA.

Home again, home again
Jiggity, Jog
Home again for Fleeter too.
Being home again is nice, but I am reminded of what someone said about me during the trip...

"Some people put down roots and some people grow wings."
I actually rather like having wings.

My GTT (Gone To Texas) trip is now history.
But it was fun and I want to do it again!

I'm mapping the states I've fleetered to and through.
This is what my map looks like now.

GTT Trip
 April 29 - July 7, 2006
7,013 miles ridden in 10 states
 (VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, TN, WV)

Copyright 2006 Fleeter Logs

No comments:

Post a Comment